Wednesday, July 25, 2007

There are not enough O’s in smooth for this Scotch whisky!



Sorry the picture of the Scotch is blue. I don't know why that happened!

Years ago, as a pre-Scotch drinker, I thought that the Scotch being poured from its beautiful decanter into a crystal glass looked more like liquefied butterscotch than an alcoholic beverage. I couldn’t wait to try it! Well, to my disappointment, I found out that the Scotch whisky didn’t taste like butterscotch candy. Not looking for sweet anymore, but smooth without a bite, it took years for me to finally find a Scotch that came even close to my preconceived notion.

Recently, I tasted a 17 year old single malt Scotch whisky from Old Pulteney which I decided to try neat. When I poured it into my glass, the nose (aroma) gave off a soft hint of vanilla. After I tasted it and allowed the amber colored liquid to cover my tongue, it felt soft and silky. I even wondered if I tasted a hint of honey. The finish was light and smoky, and the lingering warmth it left was pleasant… not harsh. Ready to try it on the rocks, I added ice to my glass, took a sip, and I enjoyed my single malt Scotch whisky even more. Finally, I could drink a glass of Scotch whisky, along with my fellow tasters, with more appreciation.



Old Pulteny 17 year old has been recognized at the 2005 International Wine & Spirit Competition, and a double gold medal winner at the 2006 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. This might be due to the fact that Old Pulteny uses unusual copper stills for production, followed by maturation in a combination of ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks.

The suggested retail price of $79.99 is well worth it.


Previously written for New England Fine Living.com on 6-29-2007

No comments: